I. Who can request the Portuguese nationality?
According to the recent amendment to the Regulation of Portuguese Nationality (Decree-law n.º 30 - A/2015), published in the Official Journal on February 27th 2015, the Portuguese Government may grant Portuguese nationality by naturalization to the descendants of Sephardic Portuguese Jews through the attestation of their links to Sephardic communities of Portuguese origin, namely, surnames, family speaking language and direct or indirect descent.
Each candidate may also meet the following criteria:
- being of majority age or emancipated, under Portuguese law (18 years old);
- having not been convicted, with a sentence transited in rem judicatum (closed case), for a crime liable to a prison sentence of three years or more, in accordance with Portuguese law.
II. Which documents are required?
In terms of mandatory documents to instruct the request for attribution of the Portuguese nationality, the following documents are necessary:
- The Application Form (https://www.portaldascomunidades.mne.pt/images/GADG/Not%C3%ADcias/cdnjs/form.pdf) to apply for the Portuguese citizenshipmust be filled out in Portuguese. The following information will be required: full name; place and date of birth; parents; civil status; profession; nationality; the place of the current residence and the one where it has lived previously; Passport, ID or Permission of Residence (number, expiry dates and issuing authorities); evidence of the applicant’s family history of connection to a Sephardic Community of Portuguese origin;
- The signature should be certified by the consular authorities;
- Applicant’s birth certificate certified by the Portuguese Consulate of the country of origin of the document in question;
- Translation into Portuguese of the above mentioned birth certificate certified by the notary and the Portuguese Consulate of the country of origin of the document in question;
- Criminal Record from the applicant’s country of birth and country of which he/she is a citizen, as well as from those countries where the applicant has resided, certified by the Portuguese Consulate of the country of origin of the documents in question;
- Translation into Portuguese of the above mentioned criminal records certified by the notary and the Portuguese Consulate of the country of origin of the document in question;
- Certificate from a Jewish community with collective religious person status (Lisbon or Oporto), under Portuguese Law, at the date of entry into force of this Article, that certifies the tradition of belonging to a Sephardic community of Portuguese origin, materialised, namely, in the family name of the applicant, native language, ancestry and family memory. In the absence of this Certificate, others means of evidence are admitted (see n.º 5 from Article 24 - A).
This certificate may be requested at following addresses:
Comunidade Israelita de Lisboa
+351 213 931 130
Comunidade Israelita do Porto
III. Where must I deliver my request for the Portuguese nationality?
The Application Form, completed with the necessary documents, may be submitted in person or by mail at the Conservatória dos Registos Centrais (Central Registry Office).
If residing in a foreign country, the request may be submitted at the Portuguese consular services of the residence area. The interested party can also appoint an alternative or successive power of attorney to present the request.
IV. The consular services available at the Embassy of Portugal in Ankara are as follows:
Please send an e-mail to email@example.com
- Certification of documents ONLY
- The request for the certification of documents may be sent via post, through UPS (ATTENTION: Only UPS posts will be accepted), to the Consular Section of the Portuguese Embassy in Ankara – with the following note written outside the envelope: Certifications of documents.
- The interested party should send all the requested documents, along with the proof of payment (certification fee in cash inside an envelope) and a UPS form provided from the company containing the return address as well as name, surname and phone number (UPS form must be filled in advance)
- Formula A (international birth certificate) and Formula B (international marriage certificate) do not need to be certified.
- You must send the original passport inside the envelope.
After the certification procedure, the Consular Section of the Portuguese Embassy in Ankara will send back all the documents submitted to the interested party by UPS, whose shipment fee will be paid by the receiver.
*Home or work address, depending on the person’s location and availability during the day to receive the package return.
- Cost and fees for each document
- 1 Passport: 121.90 TL;
- 1 Birth Certificate: 121.90 TL;
- 1 Criminal Record: 121.90 TL;
- 1 Marriage Certificate: 121.90TL.
V. Other relevant information
The fees must be paid upon submitting the application and will not be refunded if the application is rejected.
Naturalization is granted, upon application by the interested party, by decision of the Minister of Justice, without any interference of the consular services. If the request is denied, the interested party will be notified of the bases, disposing for the effect of a deadline of 20 days to pronouncing itself. Failure to submit payment and the required documents on time will result in the refusal of applications.