How can I register?
Voter registration is voluntary for Portuguese nationals residing abroad.
Consular registration in the Embassy does not automatically update your voter registration.
If you have a Portuguese Citizen Card with a confirmed address in our area of jurisdiction your voter registration in this Consular Section is done automatically.
- In case your address is not up to date, you should proceed to its alteration and confirmation on your Citizen Card no later than 60 days before the election date.
If you have an old Identity Card (Bilhete de Identidade) associated with a residence in our jurisdiction, you can register in this Consular Section up to 60 days before the election date.
Please verify if you are registered in this Consular Section at www.recenseamento.mai.gov.pt
You can only vote here if you are registered in this Consular Section.
How can I vote?
Unless you have chosen – until the official announcement of the Election Day – the “face-to-face” voting modality, voting shall be performed through post (mail).
Vote by post:
- You will receive a ballot paper at your address and two envelopes, one green and another white, to be returned to the Portuguese Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- On the ballot paper, you should mark your voting option, fold the ballot paper in four, place it inside the green envelope and close it.
- You should insert the green envelope into the white envelope along with a copy of your Citizen Card or ID Card and, once closed, send it to the address stated in the instructions accompanying the ballot paper, by post mail, before the election day.
Important: In order to receive your ballot paper, you must certify that your Citizen Card address is up to date and confirmed. You can consult this situation in person in this Consular Section – starting from August 28th, 2019 – or through the Citizen Card App (https://www.autenticacao.gov.pt/cc-aplicacao).
To obtain more information regarding the vote by post, please check the following link: https://www.sg.mai.gov.pt/AdministracaoEleitoral/EleicoesReferendos/AssembleiaRepublica/Documents/AR2019VE_Instrucoes.pdf
If you are in Turkey temporarily, or in another country under the jurisdiction of this Consular Section, you may vote in advance, if you are registered to vote in Portuguese territory and you are displaced due to:
- Inherence of public functions;
- Inherence of private functions;
- When displaced abroad in official representation of a national team, organized by a sports federation with public utility status;
- Students, researchers, faculty and research fellows displaced abroad in higher education institutions, research units or similar, recognized by the competent ministry;
- Patients being treated abroad;
- Living or accompanying the voters mentioned above.
Voters in any of the situations above may cast their votes at this Consular post between the 12th and the 10th day before the election day (24, 25 and 26 September, from 09h00 to 13h00 and from 14h00 to 17h00), upon presentation of proof of the respective situation.
It should also be noted that voters wishing to exercise their right to vote in advance must know the parish council where they are registered, as well as the respective address. Such data is necessary for the correct filling of the (blue) envelope made available for the exercise of this modality of voting.
To obtain more information regarding an early vote, please check the following link: https://www.sg.mai.gov.pt/AdministracaoEleitoral/EleicoesReferendos/AssembleiaRepublica/Documents/Voto%20Antecipado_Estrangeiro_vsite.pdf
Check the page of the National Election Commission at the following link: